Megamind (movie review)

There's not a lot I have to say about Megamind.

Watch it!

Megamind is another animated film. But I don't recognize it as such. From the first watch it easily claimed a spot in my top 25 favorite movies. Admittedly, I don't watch a ton of movies, but I do watch enough that the top 25 is still pretty special. Here's why Megamind made the cut.

Animated movies quite often have people with truly wonderful story ideas behind them, because in most cases they cost a little less to make than regular movies, allowing more people to create them. On the flip side, there are a lot of pretty dumb movies out there for the same reason.....

Intro aside, Megamind left a distinctive feeling with me after it was done.

Refreshingly original.

This isn't entirely a realistic feeling to be left with, but nonetheless that's what I thought of Megamind. The movie plays off of traditional bad versus good epic battle conflicts in the best way possible. It's completely outrageous, but doesn't cross the line into unbelievable. This is a fine line to walk, and to many animated films just throw out the idea of believability and choose to lean entirely on visual wows, comedy, and story. None of which are bad at all, just that believability is a subtle addition that makes all three of those things pack a whole lot more punch.

I'd love to just make the whole post on just what I mean when I say believability, but maybe I'll just try and outline it in one paragraph instead. This is, after all, a movie review. Few (if any) people go into your average animated movie expecting super-realism. Believability is tweaking small things like: that character getting squashed but surviving. He survives, believability goes down. He survives heavily bruised, believability stays about the same. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs is a great example of a movie done well, without believability, because it clearly is outrageous, yet wins despite that. Hoodwinked? Oh yeah. Good believability. Hoodwinked 2? Horrible believability and turned out disappointing. Anyway. I think I'll come back to this later.

Megamind came across as refreshingly original to me because it had everything I wanted: good guys, bad guys, action, cheesy heart-string-pulling romance, and then did it all in a way that hadn't been similarly done before.

Last of all, Megamind has a minion. Finally. A movie with a hilarious, full-time minion. Named Minion. Minion brought much joy to my heart. :-)

As I said, I have little to say about Megamind, except to highly recommend it to anyone. Which is kind of why I put almost two whonking  paragraphs on animated movie believability with my sparse comments before and after.

But I feel no remorse about that. Check out Megamind!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through