Motivated Self-discipline

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." Romans 7:15

It is interesting (and rather unsettling) that knowledge of what to do does not mean we will do it. Easy to do the wrong thing, or what seems wrong to you, when you don't know why. And agonizingly, it is just as easy to do the same when we do know.

What's the difference that keeps our priorities straight? What is it that motivates us to do what we think we want or don't want? It could be called self-discipline. I know that if I could choose five top character traits, that self-discipline would definitely be one of them.

Self-discipline though, isn't really motivated. Motivation can be behind it, sure. But self-discipline is more of a choice, a steely determination and concentration of willpower. It is the result of an over-arching dream, vision, or goal. Dreams and visions are to hazy though, so I'm going to stick with goals, and personal desire. Some goal, or personal desire is what fuels motivation to become self-disciplined. I think motivation is an interesting concept, because it has no action unless it's attached to something.

It may not seem like a big deal, but the idea that motivation does not mean self-discipline is powerful, for me. I think an example would be useful. I desire to use my time efficiently. I am not very self-disciplined. (just look at the breaks between my posts) No matter how much I want to use my time efficiently though, the fact that I am poorly self-disciplined means that whatever motivation I have is pretty much wasted.

It could be argued that all I need is more motivation, going with the argument that motivation is the driving force of any action. But I think the difference needs to be seen here: motivation does not come already packaged with a dose of self-discipline. For the good I want to do, I do not do, I do the very thing I do not want to do. I think it's fairly obvious that despite wanting to get that email done, quite often it is the book that gets read instead. It's not a matter of a lack of motivation, but rather a lack of self-discipline led with motivation.

Do I have a solution to help with poor self-discipline? Well truthfully, I'm still mulling over that, with answers ranging from spiritual to physical. In the meantime, what are your solutions? I'd love to hear them. From small tips to large extended plans of action, to everything in between.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through