Fearless Words

Sometimes it's easier to retreat. To just step back and marginalize any feeling of loss with some non-conflict approach. Such as mitigating the sense of being ineffective by returning with an expository contrived of fearlessly written words.

It's something I wonder if Paul ever felt like doing.

2 Corinthians 10:10 says, "For some say, 'His letters are weighty and forceful, but in person he is unimpressive and his speaking amounts to nothing."

Of course Paul's letters were because he wasn't physically available to teach, but that doesn't stop me from relating to them from my own standpoint. As I can obviously see from the bible, Paul was a great orator, which easily translated (sometimes via dictation) to his letters. I, however, have neither great oratory or God-inspired biblical writing.

2 Corinthians 10 is a great chapter, but verses 1 and 9 through 11 always spring out at me. "By the meekness and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you- I, Paul (I read Benjamin), who am "timid" when face to face with you, but "bold" when away!"

Continued in verse 9, "I do not want to seem to be trying to frighten you with my letters. For some say, 'His letters are weighty and forceful, but in person he is unimpressive and his speaking amounts to nothing.' Such people should realize that what we are in our letters when we are absent, we will be in our actions when we are present."

That's a very cutting passage. I can take two hours to mull over my thoughts and roll them out in a post, but it's only the written word. Sure, it can be powerful, but what am I when I am present? Many know me as a very silent person, fewer know me to be incessantly upbeat and silly loud, fewer still that I'm both, only that I switch between the two depending on the people and circumstances.

What it all wraps up and boils down to is the realization that while I desire and work towards becoming more relational and effective in verbal communication, in the meantime, weighty letters will have to suffice. It's odd how much easier it is to simply smile and edge through encounters instead of stepping in and speaking up. Even facebook insta-chat is easier than interpreting and giving the correct body language while talking. Yet, despite however much our actions convey, in the opportune moment, spoken words are needed to back them up and carry them through. Edging through encounters- retreating- and minimizing the knowledge that it's not enough via explanation and round-a-bout response in written word, is self-deceiving and even harmful.

Ephesians 6:19, "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through