Riddles!

As a general heads-up, I have the privilege to be a counselor for Bethany Camp this month of June. This is a summer camp only at the time, focused on Exira, Iowa area. Because of this and two other trips, I'm not going to be home for the vast majority of June. So I probably won't get many posts in this month. I hope to get at least one post a week though, when I come home between camp age groups.

Here are some riddles for you to solve in the meantime, just for fun. They vary in difficulty, and I put them somewhat in what I think is increasing difficulty the farther down they are. Answers are in the comments, if you really get supremely stumped. I challenge you to solve them all without looking at the answers though! Have fun :-)

1 - Where will you find roads without cars, forests without trees and cities without houses?

2 - I have no voice and yet I speak to you, I tell of all things in the world that people do. I have leaves, but I am not a tree, I have pages, but I am not a bride or royalty. I have a spine and hinges, but I am not a man or a door, I have told you all, I cannot tell you more. What am I?

3 - It goes up, but at the same time goes down. Up toward the sky, and down toward the ground. It's present tense and past tense too, come for a ride, just me and you. What is it?

4 - Old Mother Twitchett had but one eye, and a long tail which she let fly; and every time she went through a gap, a bit of her tail she left in a trap. What is she?

5 - There is a room with 20 people in it. A guy goes in and counts 24 heads. How is this possible?

6 - A man has been digging a deep well in the sand for a long time. Along comes another man, who looks down and yells, “Where’s the shovel?” The man in the well replies, “Sure does!” Why does he say this?

7 - Two cowboys fell in love with the same girl. The father set up a horse race and said that whichever cowboys horse came in last, he would give his daughter to that cowboy to marry. The two cowboys were pretty ticked off, because that sort of race would never go anywhere. The father was feeling pretty happy with himself. The two cowboys went to a wise man, explained their situation, and asked what to do. The wise man advised them and the two cowboys went off happy to race. What did the wise man say?

The last one is my favorite, even though maybe not the hardest. A pretty good, simple site for more riddles is www.riddles.com, if you're interested in more.

Comments

  1. So, are you admitting you're supremely stumped? That you don't want to come back later for another try? If not, maybe you're just checking to see if you're right. If so, well, here are the answers, no tricks.

    1 - A map.

    2 - A book.

    3 - A See-Saw.

    4 - A needle and thread.

    5 - 20 for heads. A play on words, four or for.

    6 - The man in the deep well mistook "Where's the shovel?" for "Wears the shovel!" Another play on words. Sand wears down shovels.

    7 - Swap horses :-) Obviously, the race could then be run, as both cowboys would want the horse they're riding on to win, which would make their horse lose, and therefore win. Kind of confusing isn't it!?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through