Something Casually Interesting

Love is not casually interested.

Probably the most important thing I learned this week. Christ works through me to love the world, because I don't love it, and his love is not casually interested. Christ in me is nothing new, just the realization about love. That statement raises some interesting thoughts for me.

In the world of today, words are not so influential as actions. I still use them of course, because I believe words in a longhand, personal way, are gaining more impact than they used to. Partially due to inflation of shorthand writing, and other reasons, like the rarity of more complete expression. The world actually demands more complete expression now, as anything short of that is simply not to be believed. Climbing out of that rabbit hole, my actions are not as loving as I would like them to be all the time. And part of that, is that I am not making myself more than "interested" in other people.

Here's a secret that shouldn't be one. True Christians, when devoted to Jesus Christ, realize that the world needs action, and not so much talk. So, when trying to "evangelize" or otherwise open others' minds to Gods truth, the down to earth technique to use is called "loving on them". Loving on them, whoever it be, involves spending inordinate amounts of time with them, being open and honest, being yourself as much as possible in this inordinate-amount-of-time mindset, and being interested, in an inordinate amount.

Because love is not "casually" interested. Those in love with a spouse can confidently say they are more than "casually" associated with their friend. That's why they're now in love. Interestingly, once you love someone, it isn't so hard to do things for them that originally were disliked. To often, in an attempt to show someone that I care for them and their soul, I appeal in a "casual" way. An easygoing, friendly way, and while that nets some friends to go deeper with, it certainly doesn't work for long. That's not loving, that's fun-loving. Good, friendly, but long-term use and application is not deep or connective. Alternatively, loving on someone is genuine, it's an outflow of the heart filled with Christ.

Loving an someone is not inordinately interested because it's trying to be, but because it really is. I can tell you from experience, that it easily slips from that. The only thing keeping me truly interested and loving on someone, is having Christ as my focus, my end goal, what I'm living for. If that is true for me, he will do his good work in and through me, and the love he shows to others is sacrificial, genuine, pure, and desirable.

So that statement really carries weight with me. I've experienced how true it is. And when I interact with others, that truth often changes my actions, for the better, so I wanted to share it with you.

Love is not casually interested.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through