Real Words and....Crickets! (now extended)

(Edit: I unfortunately had little inspiration for this post, and subsequently, I have added a chunk at the bottom)

Man
that was fun! Man it's hot!

What's up with that? Why do we use the word man as an expression?
It's almost funny, trying to figure out why I use the word man.
So. I'm not offering all the reasons, and I'm certainly not going to cover the whole subject of why we use extra words for more emphasis; but in this post I offer one simple reason for part of why I think the word man, and a few others, get used for emphasis.

Because they're real.

They have force partially because they're real. God, hell and d**nation are real too.
Sometimes I use shazam and wow, but it seems like more often then not, I use something real.
Maybe this is a bad example, but I use crickets as an emphasis word sometimes. Yeah, I know, that's kind of strange... Let me explain a little though.
In the summertime crickets run rampant! They invade the basement and crawl all over and get into the kitchen lights... I have now idea how they get in kitchen lights, but they do. And once they dehydrate and die, I have to open up the lights and dump them outside.
Uh...rabbit trail there. Anyway, the point is that crickets are real, and they get so pervasive and all over the place, that sometimes when I fell overwhelmed I just say "Crickets!".

And I think it's because the word, to me, has force because it is very real.

So hopefully this post was interesting and maybe even humorous for you. God bless!

Extra!
Part of the point I wanted to make in the above section, I forgot entirely. So uh, here it is, albeit a few days late.

So at least a portion of why some words have impact is because they're real. There are other reasons like cultural influences, desires to be different and insanity, but for some, it's also because they're real.
So now I point out, if they're real, (God, hell and d**nation) then do you believe them because of that reality? If you believe them, then why do you use them?
And if you don't believe in them, why do you use them? Why do you feel they add impact, especially if you don't believe they're real?

For me, these words carry impact, and carry force, because I believe that they are real.
The force comes because God, my Creator's name, can't be compared to anything earthly. There isn't a way that I can hate something as much as God's infinity. Example, using God's name, and then saying "I hate this". God can't possibly be described with earthly things, so how can anything earthly possibly be described using God?

Following this reality, hell and d**nation are also to infinite, to...hugely, massively horrendous to be compared to earthly things. Furthermore, my biblical belief instructs me not to swear and use God's name in vain.
Whenever people use these words it directly degrades my belief and offends me. I practice tolerance though, because I don't want others too be hurt and offended, because I care about them. I would rather be hurt than them, because by caring and showing love, others will see what Jesus is all about.

So please, I would kindly ask that maybe you (and I) could be more considerate in which words we use. We don't know who we could be hurting. Real words carry real force.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through