Tolerance - Part 1

What really is tolerance?
Everybody is supposed to be tolerant of each others views. But.... what exactly does that mean?

As an example, say, abortion. I'm no expert on the subject, so we're good. Now, my view is that abortion is wrong, main reason being, it's murder, which goes back to the Ten Commandments, and then back to my belief in God. Others do not view it as murder, and believe it should be our choice. Insert tolerance of both views. But then it gets real...nasty. Of course I don't believe that what is, in my view, murder, (abortion) should be legalized. Whereas, pro-abortionists do. The conclusion, is whichever way it goes, a viewpoint is being pushed on someone else and the "winning side" are now being intolerant of the other view.

So, how is tolerance even compatible? The way I see it, tolerance should be able to exist between two people, even if the other person's viewpoint says I'm wrong. That's tolerance, we can think differently, and even acknowledge that the other believes us to be wrong, and even everybody else as well, but not get in a fight. We just have different viewpoints. Problem is, my viewpoint of what tolerance should be, only works in conjunction with someone of my own power, someone who can't force their viewpoint on me.

When the time comes as to who's going to get their way, when our laws of how we will live are made, it's quite simply impossible to be tolerant of everyone's viewpoints. Legalized abortion is intolerant of what I believe. It forces me to accept the viewpoint that abortion is our choice.

Tolerance doesn't seem to be making much sense. It's confusing. Why is everyone going on about how we need to be tolerant of everybody when we literally can't? Someone is going to get their viewpoint as the legal law, and everybody else has to "tolerate" it. Well then, who's tolerating what they believe? Not the people wanting others to tolerate, and essentially accept and incorporate their set of beliefs. No matter which way it all ends up, someone is being intolerant of others viewpoints, while theirs is supposed to be accepted.

Hm. Who's viewpoint, who's belief will everyone else have to tolerate? What will we stick with? Because if we change just one little bit, why doesn't everyone else have the right to choose what's right?

I'm going to split this thought-line/topic into multiple posts, for the reason that there's a lot to cover, and I want to cover a lot. Quite likely I'll end up with multiple subjects mussed over, as well as a whole heap left out, either on purpose or on accident. However, I hope you'll end up finding it all at least interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through