Peanut Butter Blob

It was time for some good ole' PB & J. While the toast was...toasting, I located the peanut butter and jelly and brought them to the counter. After grabbing a spoon, I plunged it into the peanut butter and drew out a huge blob of creamy goodness. As I was spreading it on my toast another family member commented, "You've got too much peanut butter."
I countered with, "It's not so much once it's all spread out."
To which my family member pointed the fallacy of by saying, "Spreading it out doesn't reduce the amount of peanut butter you're using."

To often I rationalize my sinful actions as not so bad because I'm, "spreading it out".

A little bit of coveting there...omitting certain truths and/or dancing around the question over here...selfishness sprinkled all along everywhere, it all adds up to the same big blob regardless of whether it's spread out or not. I can't rationalize my actions by comparing them to other people and how much I spread it into "not so much".
What books and magazines do I read, what movies or tv do I watch, what music do I listen too?
"This song is so catchy, I don't listen to the words anyway, so what's wrong with listening to it once in a while? I listen to good music the rest of the time."
Or, "This movie isn't so bad.... (so that makes it good?) I saw the first so I've got to see the second..... and now the third is out! Lots of my friends are seeing these movies, so they can't be that wrong."
And, "It's just a book, I'm not actually watching this violence, (stupid, does anyone else watch a movie in their head when they read a book?) and I'm not actually hearing these words....only reading them. And I'm looking for a magazine of monster trucks. (which just happens to be on the same shelf as the weight loss, swimsuit and gossip magazines)

I could almost wish to be more stupid. Then I wouldn't have the smarts to deceive myself.
A popular and perhaps overused bible passage, Ephesians 5:3-6 is nonetheless appropriate.

"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be any obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person - such a man is an idolater - has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient."

I don't think that God cares a whit about how we rationalize over what not even a hint is. The passage refers to immorality, but looking throughout the bible for corresponding verses shows that not even a hint applies to all sin.

A huge blob of creamy smooth (or crunchy if you prefer) peanut butter is really yummy and packed with protein, but don't deceive yourself when it comes to sin. A huge blob is still a huge blob even if it's spread out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through