Tracks.... And Safety....

There are times when I just wish my walk with God was like somebody else, like 'that person, or that other person". You know, if I just had "their faith" or "their some attribute" things would be easier. Some, far off vision of who I want to be hovering in the distance, a goal to reach.

Here's an idea: Our growth with God is a lot like railroad tracks. I know myself, how easy it is to see where the two rails meet. God and me. That distant spot, the current picture of who I want to be. The phenomenal, slightly discouraging at first, completely thrilling at second, truth though, is that those two rails never actually meet.

I say these things because I know the mental picture of who I want to be is pretty much impossible to rid myself of. The problem is that I cannot picture the ideal, Jesus, in His entirety. I must constantly adjust my picture as I study and journey closer to who Jesus is.

That meeting of the rails is an illusion. And however much it seems, it's not who you want to be. Study God, study Jesus. A little further down the rail and you find that spot, and it's not what it looked like before.

It may be discouraging at first, but I realized that it's actually a thrilling ride. Why would I want a god who is fully discoverable on earth? God is God, not god. If it was possible for me to attain a point where I need not progress further, that point would be sinlessness. (made up word) And if that were possible, my faith would be in vain. The truth is that I will get to spend my entire life making exciting discoveries about God, because I am finite, and God is not; which is totally awesome. (in both uses of the word)

These railroad tracks never meet, and that may sound wrong at first, but here's the deal: those tracks are only our lives. We get off these insufficient tracks with the terrible gap between the rails, at the station. Our heavenly family is waiting with open arms.

I wanted to start with a railroad, because the spot on the horizon idea is easy to picture with straight tracks. Some of you clever people are thinking, finding errors with this analogy, "you know, that horizon spot isn't always very clear, and life seems a whole lot more difficult than traversing a straight line". And you're very right.

God allows satan to bend, twist, and loop those rails as much as he can, in an effort to throw us off. It's been said before, but life is actually quite like a rollercoaster. Besides all that has been said, everyone goes on this rollercoaster. Some are scared stiff, some are indifferent, some are finding it... thrilling.

Personally, I'm excited to meet the owner of the station. The one who knows every turn of the course, and never let it black me out. The Creator.

Will you accept Jesus as your only safety? Or be flung out?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through