Ponderings On The Ins & Outs Of Doors

One of the funnest things about analogies is that you can frequently go as deep, or as shallow as you want with them. I've been thinking about doors lately. Doors mean forward, usually, although they can also be seen as avenues to go back, or other ways. Usually though, they are seen as progress, or movement forward. Like a door opening for a job, or doors opening for that event, or whatever. The figurative idea of life presenting us with doors that open and shut as we explore them is nothing new.

And I've been thinking about doors lately. First, what a weird word. Do-or-es. Dooooorrrsssssss. Dore. Second, in analogical terms, you could take them a long way. There are the different types of doors, like hidden, sliding, automatic, revolving, double, two-way, or whatever else you can think of. And then you could continue with locks and opening mechanisms and colors and material and height and width and whatnot. The possibilities go a looooooong way.

So I just stuck to one-way doors, the type you would normally encounter while entering a regular business in town, or most homes. And I've come to realize, that while we see lots and lots of doors that may or may not be open to us, we frequently miss an important aspect of them. Which way does it, or did it, open?

I don't know how many times I've yanked or shoved on a door handle to find out a moment later, (with a large hit to the ego) that it opens the other way. Maybe some doors we're trying to open aren't opening, simply because they don't open the way we think they should. I figure with a one-way door, there are two ways to look at it: as opening towards me, or opening away from me. A lot of time and effort is wasted when I don't realize that the doors I progress through, open away from myself, towards others, rather than towards me.

Some doors just suddenly appear. Like when you're looking for a vehicle and someone unbeknownst to your problem, comments on a car they saw advertised on the side of the road. I think those are like doors opened towards me, by someone else opening outward. Progress just isn't made when my focus can only accept that all things open towards me. That doesn't mean that all doors open outward, but that people are what make doors appear, and open inward, and to find people, you must move outward. I suppose it goes back to the fundamental truth of humanities inborn selfishness, and that people will absolutely love you if you purposefully engage in their own life. Well, usually.

So to make it easy on my brain, I ignored all the other possibilities beyond normal one-way doors, but as we know, some doors don't fit in that category. Revolving doors, for one, have some very interesting possibilities. Already popping into my head. So what do you think? About doors, specifically, although you are free to comment with whatever you'd like. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through