Human Or Dancer

Human - The Killers

Are we human or are we dancer? I've loved this song ever since I first heard it, half due the irresistible catch, half due the lyrics. Sparse enough for fault to be hard to find, yet with enough to read in a meaning of my own. The song is uplifting in tone, and meaning if you want it to be so.

In a whimsical way, I always answer the question with "dancer!". After all, everyone is human. That's inescapable following literal thinking, but what joy can be found in life without ever entertaining thoughts of what's unseen? Maybe some, I have never attempted thinking that feat. Especially as joy seems much different than everyday happiness.

Isn't there joy in thinking of yourself as a dancer? Depending on what picture that brings to mind for you, yes and no. As a man looking to be manly, dancing is decidedly backward thinking. Just as I'm conscious of sin's effect on a view of dancing. While conscious is good, don't let that destroy the joy God means for us to carry. Be transformed by the constant reading of his word, renewing your mind and pushing out the thoughts of evil that so easily entangle our minds from seeing God's glory and beauty. (Romans 12:2 & Hebrews 12:1)

Mark 10:13-16
People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.

Dancing is natural for littler ones. Skipping through doors and hopping up and down steps. I don't dance that much anymore, but I hope to do so in the future. After all, David danced for joy in the Lord. I've friends that care enough to show joy through dancing too, and few things are quite so contagious. Doesn't the world take this beautiful expression for its own? Just dance! Or grind. Or whatever it is people do now. Just another thing to discover God's better pleasure and purpose as it were before.

So as a believer, The Killers song "Human", never fails to turn my mind to dancing for Jesus, as I am not only human, but a dancer as well; one saved by the crucified and now living King. I don't mean an immature sillyhead, even if that's alright. Joy is most strong when shown through the actions of one rooted in certainty of faith. Dance brought on by knowledge of who reigns and lives forevermore.

Exitlude

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through