One Of Life's Many Quirks

Last night I slept with the window open, for the first time this year! Ah yes, it was a cold breeze, but I had blankets and I slept really well because of it.
Beside that though, I had just gotten to the point of having all the blankets arranged and snuggled just right, when I realized I hadn't prayed that night yet.

The thought did cross my mind to simply pray while in bed, but that never works real well. The combined warmth and comfortableness makes for a sleep inducing atmosphere. That is after all, how beds are designed to work.
So during the next ten minutes my mind sub-consciously raced through countless thoughts, brilliant inspirations for songs and projects, and dull pondering all the while I was struggling to convince myself to get out of my bed to pray. After staring into space for so long, my eyes finally moved around and eventually came to my calendar still on March. Immediately my brain registered "kill two birds with one stone" concept, get out of bed and you can change the calendar and pray. My arm reached for the cover and pulled them back a full foot before I stopped disgusted.

Why would I so suddenly get out of bed to change the calendar, when I had been there for ten minutes frittering away time instead of praying?

This wasn't even an up-to-date calendar. It's from 1999. It doesn't matter if it's on the right month anyway. Yeah I know, why am I keeping an ancient calendar anyway? Well it's a veggie tales calendar, how many people have one of those eh? Probably a ton. Shucks. Anyway, calendars reset every six years, so in 2011 it'll be correct again :-)

But that's getting off topic. I had lain in bed, not wanting to get out to pray, when suddenly I see something of astounding material insignificance which automatically got me moving. That's not the way it should be. It's supposed to go the other way around.
Why wasn't I motivated to get out and pray? Maybe because I'm always lousy at it anyway, (which doesn't matter to God) and just didn't want to feel useless and worthless. Maybe because I just didn't think it was worth it. Maybe I didn't want one of those awful moments when you suddenly feel as if you're just talking into the air.
Selfish. If I don't pray, (talk to God) I can't expect to have any sort of relationship with him.

I did get out of bed eventually. I talked to God, and it didn't sound good, didn't come out smoothly, but it was honest, real, sincere, and with my heart. It felt good.

After that I changed the calendar before going to sleep :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through