Truth... (part 3...)

"Hmm," is not a good way to start out, but that's sure what I'm thinking. 1 Peter 3:15a, reminds me, "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have."

And at this point it's not knowing what the reason is, but, where to start? There are enough reasons for why I believe in a literal view of the bible, along with Christ, that an in-depth explanation could go on for many posts. So, I'll enlist the help of some bullet points and launch from there.

First off, the bible is recognized as the most accurate historical document we have.

Archeological digs have found several towns spoken of in the bible, and the two match up. That's fairly hefty, but what is really amazing is that the bible was written over fourteen hundred years or so, by about forty different writers. (inspired by God) Writers that wrote the most accurate and non-contradictory historical book we have. That's incredible. Now, I've seen whole books on things in the bible that are contradictory, but after closer inspection, some revealed to be taking the bible completely out of context, mixing and matching verses just so they would look that way. I purposefully study the bible by looking for contradictions, and studying in context. The discoveries are really fun. I hope to write about several common "contradictions" in the bible at a later date.

Secondly, the literal bible explaining the Christian faith, is relevant.

The bible explains, "Why am I here? What's my purpose? What's wrong with me? Why am I going to die? Why is there evil in the world? What is this thing called love? How did this all get here? What's after death?"

Those are not just questions jotted down. The bible answers, and has answered for me personally, each and every one. The bible is relevant, and applies to everything I see. I cannot deny the implications of relevancy, paired with non-contradictory, historical accuracy. How many books can claim just that?

And last, but what I feel as supremely important, the Christian faith has completely changed me.

I don't just do things differently, I am different. Ephesians 2:1-3 says, "As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath."

I was dead, doing everything in my power to gratify myself. I delighted in nothing more than me, and if my actions made others happy, it was usually so that I would be made happy.

Ephesians 2:4-10 continues, "But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions-- it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in he heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."


And yet, God saved me, and my position is in Christ. Instead of my sin, God sees Jesus Christ, sinless, blameless, and that is me. I am the workmanship of God, created to do good things. Things that God prepared for me to do before creation. I am here to glorify God, and I love it.

There is no point in going to church just to "do it," church is for fellowship with followers of Christ, and to learn of God, to further his glory. There is no point in "not doing bad things" so that by "being good" we can get to heaven. No, it is by grace we have been saved, and this not from ourselves, it is the gift of God. I don't view "bad things" as something fun that I abstain from so I can be "good". I am changed, those things that gratified my old nature are detestable. For I have been saved from them by grace, by a perfect Christ dying and redeeming me from that bondage. I am not what makes me happy. My Saviour makes me happy.

The literal bible is a non-contradictory, accurate, historical document, that also applies directly to the questions this world prompts. The Christian faith described by it has given me peace, joy, freedom, love, compassion, confidence, assurance, hope, and a future. Those are but a few, and I assure you that I have abundantly more of all of them, than I ever thought I could.

I have simple faith in God creating the universe. But not faith without reason, for Jesus' statement still stands, "I am the way and the truth and the life." And that statement is not unreasonable. Thank you so much for reading this three part series. I hope that it has been as interesting to you, as it has been intriguing for me to write.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Familiarity Breeds

The Fruit Of The Spirit

Still Muddling Through